The former Governor’s Office of Gang and Youth Violence Policy (OGYVP) was charged with assessing the use of evidence-based practices (EBPs) in the juvenile justice and gang violence prevention fields, determining which are most effective in terms of implementation and outcome and promoting those that are proven to be most cost-efficient and effective.
The literature on evidence-based practices created confusion about which practices or programs in fact reduce recidivism. There are multiple "lists" with varying and inconsistent terminology and criteria, and the efficacy of some of the lists warrants serious scrutiny.
To dispel the confusion, OGYVP engaged a national expert to prepare an accurate and up-to-date list of evidence-based crime and violence prevention and intervention practices. Rather than evaluating all programs and strategies anew, this project reviewed existing rating systems for applicability, reliability and currency. As a result, a list of evidence-based programs and strategies from the best of these systems was developed. The programs and strategies selected for this list of evidence-based practices have been found effective by four sources: Blueprints for Violence Prevention; the Coalition for Evidence-Based Policy (“Top Tier”); work published by Mark Lipsey, Ph.D.; and the Washington State Institute for Public Policy. These sources were chosen because they reliably employ a rigorous scientific standard of evaluation.
Explore the Evidence-Based Programs and Strategies:
This list will provide California public officials and community service providers with an accurate and up-to-date list of proven and promising violence prevention and intervention programs.
To view the full report and list, download the Preventing and Reducing Youth Crime and Violence: Using Evidence-Based Practices - PDF
CPGP Quick Links
- July 2020 BSCC Grant Administration Guide opens PDF file
- opens in a new window CPGP Home
- opens in a new window July 2016 BSCC Grant Administration Guide opens PDF file
- opens in a new window Community Corrections Partnership (CCP) Plans
- opens in a new window Comprehensive Monitoring Visit Tool - Sample opens PDF file
- opens in a new window Grant Funded Programs
- opens in a new window Grantee Invoicing
- opens in a new window Grantee Progress Reports
- opens in a new window Grant Staff Assignments opens WORD file
- opens in a new window Grantee Contact Information Sheet opens EXCEL file
- opens in a new window Resources